FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:57 pm
gfowler-ord-1k
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
In all the times I've travelled to Singapore I can only recall one time where the driver tried to say it was a flat rate to the airport, rather than using the meter. I think you'd have a tough time finding anywhere else in the region with better drivers overall than in Singapore (and I'd take a Singapore cabbie over a Sydney cabbie anyday, that's for sure! ).
Most do use the meter but they slip in extra charges. The usual trick is the add in S$5 which is the booking fee if you book over phone or internet. Others will tell you that it its the airport surcharge when going to the airport (there is none). They are slick with this -- it will show up in the extras total on the meter. You might not notice it when there is also the airport surcharge and midnight surcharge in the extras sub-meter display. They do it at a point when they think you are not watching. All it takes is a couple button presses. Another trick is not to reset the meter from the previous trip.

I have no problems with their driving ability. Most drive safely.