FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 9: How Will You Seek Input?
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:33 pm
satori

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This questions was submitted by member Kiwi Flyer:
It has been written: "This council establishes the direction that FlyerTalk is heading into our future and represents and directs the general membership in issues that serve both the short- and long-term interests of the FlyerTalk community."

I would like to know how the TalkBoard candidates will seek input from the membership at large whom they're seeking to represent.

I would like to more use of stickys throughout forums on FlyerTalk to alert members about issues and ask for community input. I have my website address for FlyerTalk set for Miles & Points, so I hardly ever see TalkBoard Topics as a forum. I have to look for it specifically.

Having spent years with teacher unions I learned that the main point is to give the membership the opportunity to participate. Opportunity comes from adequate and timely notification of issues and deadlines. If adequate and timely info is passed on to the members, then complaints and problems are reduced.

In any organization there are very few persons who do the vast majority of organizational planning, but an avenue to become an organization planner is key to a democratic organization. The fact that any member can run for TalkBoard demonstrates the power of the democratic organization of FlyerTalk.

The fundamental issue is to have an efficient process to inform members about FlyerTalk issues and provide for member responses. The TalkBoard forum is there and can serve this purpose. Perhaps we can do more to educate members about the avenues for input into the direction of FlyerTalk.

How would I actually do it?
I do not know the inner workings of FlyerTalk and TalkBoard to the extent that I can provide specifics at this time. I would work to make the system of communication more efficient and organized. That is a role I traditionally undertake in organizational work and I will figure out the actual methods for member communication based on what others are doing and what I find possible and efficient with the role as a TalkBoard member.