FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 9: How Will You Seek Input?
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:45 pm
ClueByFour

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If TB members either in clicks or en mass go to private communication and vote without deliberating on the TB forum that fact will become public knowledge as well.
Which is, for all intents and purposes, status quo ante with today's situation.. We know that prior Talkboards have rejected the call to toss open the doors and such.

I'm for it. No matter the tactics required to achieve it.
Perhaps there is something to be said for building consensus rather than burning the china shop down (skipping directly past the bull). I'd wager a plugged nickel and a pint of your choice that some degree of pragmatism results, in the end, in greater disclosure than what exists today, or minimally greater exposure that will result from gorilla warfare. Takers?

The REAL question is why on Earth are people against open talkboard deliberations (with a VERY few minor exceptions)!?!?!!?!?
Two reasons: TB members won't be able to talk about other members in a disparaging fashion (one member on the current iteration of Talkboard suggested that I personally be banished from the public TB forum, and then actually had the temerity to deny it in public). These types of activities, if brought to light, would be rather embarrassing. This kind of thing makes me want to toss open the door, especially as I've been victimized by it previously, as I believe you have as well.

The second reason is that people do tend to behave differently "behind closed doors," especially as it pertains to interpersonal discourse. A limited audience will tend to increase candor. I believe this to be good.

I think if you toss open the Talkboard forum, what will end up happening is that same give-and-take, back-and-forth, consensus-building and horse-trading moves to another forum or e-mail. Which kind of defeats your aison d'être, no?

I think there is a more productive path via pragmatic moves that increment over time to the desired end result. I suppose we'll disagree about that, as has been the case in the past.....