FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]
Old Nov 6, 2007, 1:43 pm
gfowler-ord-1k
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
I will be arriving at 12:30am, does the public transit still operate at that hour?
No MRT (rail Mass Rapid Transit) at that hour. You will need to take a taxi and pay the midnight and airport surcharge. Ask for a printed receipt as SIN taxi driver are know for ripping off foreigners. If the driver says his printer is not working and offers a hand written one be very aware. Unless it is a holiday the airport and midnight charge should be the only extra fee that time of day. Rate chart at http://www.smrt.com.sg/taxis/fares.asp and http://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/commuters_...mvn?cid=138401 . I suggest you print and take with you. There is no airport surcharge on the return.

While you are in the cab jot down the driver's name and license number. It appears on a card posted. Write down the taxi company name, phone number and the license plate number.

If the ripoff occurs on the way to the hotel ask the hotel to call the taxi company. Tell the driver to wait until it is settled. He then will generally try to negotiate a new rate.

If it occurs on the way to the airport get your luggage and then tell the driver you are seeking the airport police. The driver will then usually leave without you paying anything. The airport police actually cannot do anything. Taxi fares are not under their jurisdiction. If you have a cell phone call the taxi company to report it.

You may think this is paranoid but my experience is that about 50% of my rides to/from the airport and hotels are ripoffs. When I lived in SIN and went to my apartment I don't think it ever occurred. The drivers assume locals know the rules.

Typical daytime rates to airport from the Starwood hotels should be around S$15-18, night from airport S$20-26. If someone has more up-to-date prices please post. I have not been in SIN for almost a year.

BTW, I prefer the Sheraton but have not stayed in the St Regis. The Changi Village is satisfactory for transit visits and they provide free shuttle to/from airport.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 29, 2009 at 3:48 pm