FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 11: Building Dialogue and Consensus
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:11 pm
skofarrell
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This question submitted by member Jenbel:
We're obviously hearing a lot about what candidates want to do if
elected. However, to be an effective TB member, one needs to be able
to build dialogue and consensus, and this seems to be being rather
ignored. Can you explain how you would go about effectively
persuading the other TB members to support your most important
campaign positions?
I'd like to break this into two parts. First, when making a case to support my position, I plan to try whenever possible to frame my pitch by always having the best interest in FlyerTalk as a whole in mind. "I think this motion will benefit FlyerTalk because..."

Second, when listening to someone else asking for my support on a motion, I'd again try to see things from all point of view. Take the neutral ground.

Since the mission of the TalkBoard does not include controversial topics like moderation, or Randy's succession plan, I'm feverently hoping that a future Talkboard will not be a factionalized body. I know its easy to make grand claims about what I am singlehandedly going to do when elected. I can make awesome soundbites on what I'm going to fix. But at the end of the day if those that I'm going have to to work with are not impressed, then that may actually create problems for what I'm going to try to accomplish. That won't be best for FlyerTalk in the future.