FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 2: Palatable Moderation
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:43 am
RichMSN
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kanebear
No, we don't. Any suspended FTer receives a full account of precisely why they were suspended and what the TOS violation involved was. If they disagree they absolutely have every right to go up the chain and appeal. Punki is one such successful appeal. It may not have been as quick a process as she'dve liked but it happened. And ironically enough the previous suspension was as a result of disagreements over moderation, no?

I will reiterate: moderation affects a very very small subset of FTers. The vast majority haven't ever even had a PM from a volunteer acting in an official capacity, much less an official warning.

Of course it's great campaign fodder to sensationalize, but it doesn't make the sensationalization into reality.
The reality is that the appeal process can, intentionally or unintentionally, take longer than the suspension itself. Since none of this "moderation" is out in the open and everyone fears talking about it cause they think they'll get sent to the RV, the status quo is maintained.

Your post essentially says, "Move on. Nothing to see here."

I disagree with that. Note I've said I've never been suspended or even been warned I was close to being suspended, so I'm not arguing for myself here. I'm arguing for the process, which I think could be better.

My point is made, the horse is dead and being beaten. I'll back out unless something new and interesting brings me back.