FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska MVP Platinum?
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:38 pm
mattime

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, the "casual" 40K flyer on AS might be a full-fare west coast or AK flyer that spends buckets on AS and is on the airline a few times a month and is worth much more than the transcon flyer. This has always been the dynamic in play at AS, because unlike other programs, this program was designed when the route structure was limited.

I'm trying to think of how a 1K is better off at UA than a MVPG is at AS. The 1K pays more for the RCC than the MVPG (or anyone) does for the BR. The 1K gets CR1s and 500s, the MVPG gets unlimited UGs instead of 500s, and 4 "companion upgrades" which he can use himself. (We cannot compare with SWUs or upgrade chances on widebodies, because it is a different animal). The MVPG has a similar chance of getting an UG as a 1K on a transcon 319 or 320. On the small planes, there aren't enough UG seats to go around. The MVPG gets the same mileage bonus as the 1K (double). As AS doesn't have agents that can take care of difficult issues for you within the BRs (they send you out to a CS agent), status with or without lounge access doesn't matter no matter what your tier. Since UA got rid of the 1K rooms, 1K is in the same boat as anyone with RCC access. Both get to speak with agents in North America. 1K beats 1P for waitlists, etc., but at AS, all MVPGs are in the same boat.

I just don't see that given the fleet and route structure of AS that an MVPG is much worse off than a 1K at UA. I'm sure others will differ.
Are change fees waived on other airlines? I'm still trying to figure out the benefits of AA Platinum I just achieved for flying 50K miles. Like AS, the instant upgrade fares are expensive. AS has unlimited upgrades at 72 hours on all other fares. AA you have to fly 10K miles to get 2,000 miles in upgrade certificates. Even then its a request, your not guaranteed an upgrade.

I think AS looks like a better deal.