FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:37 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Melbourne to Singapore (MEL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines 777-200 first class

It didn't take me long to walk down the pier, up through security (again successfully dodging the "random" explosive checks) and back the length of the pier to the Singapore Airlines lounge to check in. I was invited to head inside while the agent checks me in, and I asked about checking in for the return. That can only be done at landside check in because my ticket is split into two PNRs due to the upgrade on only one flight (some computer issue ).

Some time later I get both boarding passes. Yes, despite only have one agent in the lounge SQ sent someone from landside check in to the lounge to collect my documents, back landside to check me in and back airside to return my documents along with the boarding passes ^ So many other airlines would simply say it can't be done and here is just the one boarding pass.

Amazingly this is the first time I've used this lounge, for even when Air New Zealand temporarily was using the horrid United lounge in between closing its old lounge at the base of the pier and opening the new one in the basement at the end of the pier, I was using Qantas first class lounge thanks to open doors access with my status. The lounge is small and fairly basic but has all you need and tonight is fairly empty. I could imagine at busy periods (eg for the 747 flights) it would be full. Bathroom and shower. Computer (no printer). A range of drinks including JW Blue (NM take note) and some decent light food offerings. Champagne is only Moet though.

Boarding is announced in the lounge only when nearly everyone else has boarded. So no wait at the gate or on the airbridge. Having said that boarding is rather early as they want to leave early to offset the stronger than normal headwinds.

This is my first Singapore Airlines flight in over 6 months, after flying them well over a hundred times in the previous few years, and I was wondering how it would compare. We ended up not leaving early as a couple of stragglers showed up late. Just 3 passengers in first tonight (so excellent crew to passenger ratio and extremely attentive service). Business is fairly full and economy was sold out at least a couple of weeks ago.

Before take-off a choice of water, orange juice or champagne (my choice of Dom Perignon or Krug ^ ). Meal orders are taken so as to maximise the sleep. The menu has been further downgraded since the last time I took a similar flight - only nuts for starter and a main, no dessert. Only one meal for an almost 8 hour flight. Not very good. For those choosing to eat early, which I do (figuring I would be finished much shorter time after take off than the time before landing I'd be awoken for breakfast, thus more sleep for me), the meal is served just 15 minutes after we begin take off roll!

The seats are the old regional seats - so not too comfortable. Despite the extra width on these, I find even Air NZ's old business seats to be more comfortable.

IFE is avod, but I only see the first part of a movie before drifting off to sleep. The November schedule is loaded, and the KrisWorld magazine (and Silver Kris magazine) is for November - which is normal for SQ.

As expected we lose time en route and arrive 20 minutes late to a rainy Singapore.

PS I forgot to mention that amenities were less than expected - pajamas, yes, but no amenity kit

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 31, 2007 at 3:41 am