FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:04 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
London Heathrow to Hong Kong (LHR-HKG) on Qantas 747-400 business class

I had long enough to catch up on some emails and update this trip report. On the way to the gate I am paged. I certainly am not running late (boarding hasn't even started) so I wonder if I've gotten lucky with an op-up or otherwise improved seat. No such luck - turns out they had noticed I had no Australia e-visa but didn't notice that I am not required to have one. Boarding commences soon after. There was a mass queue, since boarding was late in starting, over to the left of the podium. I quietly waited by myself on the right and sure enough the first/business line opened up and I was first through.

Received pajamas and amenity kit, plus pre-departure drink (water, orange juice or champagne). We had a 30 minute delay due to paper work not reconciling. Fortunately we didn't get a further ATC delay and after a short taxi were on our way.

After a wellbeing video the in-flight entertainment was switched on. I noticed it had been updated for November options, but the IFE booklet was still the October one as was the Australian Way QF magazine.

The cabin was full, including several QF staff. No wonder I couldn't get the exit row.

After lunch I managed to get some sleep. I've found that getting a few hours sleep each flight is working out okay and helping me to adjust to timezones and get enough in aggregate even though some flights are too short to get a decent sleep all in one go.

Breakfast is served 2 1/2 hours before arrival. Yes rather early despite the meal selection already being provided and simple service (all items are pre-plated).

We had weaker tailwinds than usual and so did not make up any time en route. As usual the gate is right below the Qantas lounge.

At the end of the airbridge I get the transit card and sticker (she just managed to stick it on me as I sprinted past) and I speed walked to transfer security and up to the lounge. As I expected the transit to be shorter than normal, I opted to use the inferior QF lounge instead of The Wing (further 5 minutes walk away and no boarding calls). So I rushed to be first to arrive (which I was despite being seated near the front of the upper deck) in order to get a shower. The first 3 or 4 passengers got showers. The next few had to wait 15 minutes, and the rest missed out altogether. With lots of first/business/elites travelling through (or connecting to other flights) there is high demand. The slow miss out.