FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm earning miles from somebody else's international flights
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:28 pm
richwalk

I'm earning miles from somebody else's international flights

A couple years ago I noticed that I had earned about 2,000 miles in my Mileage Plus account for a series of flights I had not flown, all based out of a certain Midwestern city. I phoned United, concerned that if someone could earn miles for my account, they might also be able to redeem miles out of my account. UAL helped me place a password on my account so that no one could redeem miles or change my contact information without the password. They also removed the miles from my account, since I had not earned them.

I went two years without seeing additional activity from my Midwestern alter ego (I assume he has the same name as me), and then this year he takes a trip to China and another trip to Europe. I know it's the same guy, because the flights both originate out of the same city as before (and it's not a hub). I'm no longer worried about him redeeming my miles, since I have a password on the account, but I feel bad that he's flying and not getting his miles, so I call UAL again and explain the situation to them. They say there's nothing they can do to contact him, and that I can just keep the miles he's earning for me.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Is the best course of action for me just to say nothing and enjoy the miles my alter ego has earned?
Even with the password on the account, do I still run a risk of him redeeming my miles?

- R