FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are US-Cuba award tix illegal? (Citizenship, FFP and airline all non-US)
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:29 pm
Sjoerd

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by graraps
Does anyone know whether there is any legal barrier for a Greek citizen to buy a NYC-HAV tkt on a Panamanian airline using miles accrued in a Czech FFP?
I always confuse the poor souls at the OK+ service centre with my enquiries, so I'd rather run this with the FlyerTalk experts before speaking to them.
Any ideas?
I can't see why this would be a problem. I presume you will have a flight from NYC to Panama (totally legal under US law), and a connecting flight Panama - Havana which is outside US jurisdiction, and anyway as a Greek citizen even the US allows you to visit and spend money in Cuba.
The US doesn't have problems with non-Americans that are visiting Cuba - for instance most flights between Cuba and Amsterdam travel via US airspace.
The only problem you may have is when arriving in the US and explaining your itinerary to the immigration officer. They have the right to refuse entry (even if your plans are totally legal) and if he/she doesn't like your face or is an American of Cuban origin, you may be in deep sh!t.