FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Singapore retains gay sex ban
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:34 pm
phaleesy

As was in the case of oral sex, no one is going to barge into your bedroom (or wherever) to check up on you, let alone enforce the law.

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Sorry, but you sound like you have read too many editions of The State's Times and other Singapore government propaganda. Singapore's propaganda is quite refined and many Singaporeans who are not reading serious newspapers have been brainwashed to believe that the Government has actually done a great job.
You should give Singaporeans more credit than that. There is no doubt that there is a certain bit of conditioning (I wouldn't go so far as calling that brainwashing!) but many are intelligent enough to read between the lines and form their own views.

What serious newspapers are you referring to? Surely not the UK ones that the majority of the population seem to read?! We must keep abreast of the latest exploits of Posh and Becks in L.A.; and for political news - David Cameron snogging his wife at the polls, Gordon Brown's terrible dress sense.

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
They just want to keep these anti-gay laws because it might come in handy one day to get rid of a opposition politician, Anwar-style.
I personally think that the law should not exist. Don't know the government's motives but my guess is that the neighbours and religious groups need to be kept happy.