FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NYC airports using airline ticket agents agents of the government
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:58 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by law dawg
Can I also play?

I'm equally troubled by being in agreement with you, who are troubled by being in agreement with Dovster, with whom I'm usually in agreement.

My head hurts now.

We're all doomed.

The city and state of New York are legal entities and have enforceable laws. LGA and JFK are within those jurisdictions and are not exempt from the enforcement of the laws of those jurisdictions to the best of my knowledge. The State of NY and the State of New Jersey have decided to create a special governmental organization, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to enforce those laws at those sites and generally manage them, collect bribes from contractors, that sort of thing . The fact that someone is just passing through doesnt exempt one from those laws.

As an extreme case, I dont think there is a Federal statute against robbery, with some exceptions, during kidnapping, Fed insured financial institutions, on Federal property, etc. But it is clearly against the law in the state of New York to rob someone and the Port Authority Police enforce that law and investigate robberies at airports (I know, I was the victim of a robbery attempt at LGA and talked with PAPD investigators). I dont see it as a reasonable expectation that they not do their job. Not that they caught the <expletive deleted by moderator> that tried to rob me.

Last edited by VPescado; Mar 28, 2008 at 10:53 am Reason: expletive deleted