FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NYC airports using airline ticket agents agents of the government
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:16 pm
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
States don't have rights. States are political units which in our system excercise powers granted them by the people. The 10th amendment to our constitution expressly reserves to the people all powers not granted to government. In the American system, a "right" is possessed only by individuals.
Mike, go back and re-read the 10th Amendment. It says that any powers not granted to the federal government, nor prohibited to the states, are reserved to the states or the people. It does not say to the people.

Each state can decide for itself which power it wants to exercise and which it wants to give to the people as a right.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Do you know how profoundly troubling I find it when I agree completely with you? Hopefully, I have troubled you as well by this acknowledgment
I believe that we are both in danger of losing our immortal souls as a result of such an unholy alliance.

Originally Posted by ralfp
What happens when your non-stop XXX-YYY, not touching NY, diverts to JFK, while you are in possession of something that's illegal in NY?

What if the airline then cancels the continuation, leaving you stranded in NY? You get your bags and are then in possession of an illegal thing (such as a gun). Should you now go to jail?
I believe that if you can demonstrate that you had no intention of violating the law, and that the airline was totally responsible, you will be safe from prosecution.

However, you are talking about an extremely rare event. You might be stuck overnight if the last plane to YYY has left, but it is rare that you will not be able to continue your flight at all.