FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:41 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Vancouver to New York JFK (YVR-JFK) on American operated by Cathay Pacific 747-400 business class

The temperature had fallen considerably during our transit and it was a chilly walk up the airbridge, but not before first fighting way through the amassed hordes who had ignored the instructions over PA that they were boarding only first and business class transit passengers at this time (this was of course after pre-boarding for those who needed assistance). Transit passengers being boarded first so they can easily cross-check the number of transit "cards" against expected number.

Once onboard it was even colder - postively frigid, and so several passengers in the upper deck cabin asked for extra blankets. I was worried this would then be a signal for the temperature to be cranked right up but it was kept cool (how I like it) the entire flight. I prefer a cool aircraft to a hot one for it is easy to add layers but not so easy (or pleasant for fellow passengers) to remove clothing if too hot.

Despite the high proportion of passengers travelling through from Hong Kong to New York, the upper deck is lightly loaded for this second leg.

We pushback somewhat late. I doze for part of the flight but then do stay awake realising that to sleep the whole flight won't be good for adjusting to the new time zone.

We arrive at JFK airport early thanks to strong tailwinds and less hassles with ATC than usual. Taxi is also fairly quick. Despite deplaning from the front half of the upper deck, I'm the second alien to arrive at immigration and so quickly through. I had a few nervous moments when the agent flips through my passport trying to find stamps for Hong Kong and then for previous countries. Eventually he gave up and lets me on my way.