FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unfriendly flight LAX/NRT - Told not to take pics - Long
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:54 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Post Here's the AA policy on photos in American Way magazine

Here's the exact language from American Way magazine (Oct 15, 2007, p. 112):

"Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited."

So, sensu stricto, she was correct, albeit IMO the policy is paranoid - OTOH AA lost aircraft, personnel and passengers on September 11, 2001, so it is somewhat understandable. But there is no reason, ever, for an FA to be nasty to a passenger, unless that passenger is Gerard Finneran - and then it's time for plastic bracelets.

Some UK air enthusiasts were locked up in the clink in Turkey for photographing civil aircraft, and it is illegal to do that in a number of places. I was censured and risked camera confiscation at NBO for taking a photo of the aircraft and tarmac - I was told "President (Daniel arap Moi at the time( could be on any of those airplanes!" , and I've been scolded extensively for taking a couple of photos in Paddington Station in London (prior to the Tube incidents.) Be aware - even such harmless activity can get one into trouble.

We won't go into the logic of it - it's NOT OK to photo the interior of a 772, but if I photograph Lady JDiver in the cabin, it is technically OK. And I can see plenty of photos of a 772 cockpit and much more on the Internet.