FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:57 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon on Cathay Pacific A330-300 business class

Just as my luck in getting an op-up on Cathay Pacific whenever not travelling in the highest cabin had to come to an end, which it did a week ago, so too my luck in only getting Cathay Pacific longhaul configured aircraft even on shorthaul routes had to come to an end. It did with this flight in 2-class regional configuration.

I noticed row 11 had no overhead bin space and row 12 had limited bin space, so was pleased with my pick for centre (in order no one climbs over me and I don't need to climb over any one) aisle seat in row 14. Sure enough the passenger in row 11 - boss man and his two lackeys are complaining about their bags being so far away from seat. Can they put it in the locker? No that is the emergency kit storage space. What about that other locker? (Points to toilet.) No storage there! I was half asleep and while this exchange was taking place I realised that it wasn't three passengers sitting at the front of business class at all, the two lackeys were in economy but wanted their bags near the boss. Good grief.

Business class was fairly empty - empty seat beside nearly everyone.

Before takeoff a basket was offered containing a micro amenity kit (socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a mint), plus eye mask and earplugs. The usual water, orange juice, champagne or Cathay's own non-alcoholic mix.

We push back on time but the shortened flight time of 2 1/2 hours means we arrive at Seoul at 0430. Ugg - even falling asleep before we reach the runway and being woken up on descent that still only gave 2 hours of sleep.

I was the first through transfer security for the day - which prompted the officers to run from their room to the machines to make sure I didn't try to slip through.

Then a wait for the lounges to open - the earliest opening at 0630. While I wandered I noticed there are free computers upstairs, but alas locked up until 0800. I hadn't noticed these on other trips, but then mostly I have been able to visit a lounge as soon as getting airside (or not long after).