FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:28 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
In transit in Tokyo Narita

Unfortunately we got the gate at the end of the pier. Knowing the connection time was shortish and not knowing when check in closes for the flight, I raced down to transfer desk opposite immigration and just past security (showed my ticket to get through). There are separate desks for each airline, and Cathay Pacific having several flights in the next couple of hours had a long queue. There was a sign which seemed to indicate the queues were for economy pax only and for first/business pax to go upstairs (to their lounge I realised once I got upstairs and saw no further transfer desks).

So I headed to the Cathay Pacific lounge up a further level (accessible only by slow lift) and asked to be checked in at the desk. It transpired that they couldn't check in at the lounge but rather an agent would take my ticket, passport and FF card down to the transfer desk and check in for me. Okay I thought.

I grabbed a drink and had barely drunk half of it when the agent returned with the words "sorry we couldn't check you in at transfer desk, please try at the gate". Oh dear. I had enough presence of mind to do a quick check on the computer for other OW flights to Hong Kong or alternatively to my next destination. There were several later flights to Hong Kong that would arrive in time for the next flight I was booked on, but all were zeroed out.

By now it was some 30 minutes before departure. So I treked back to the gate.

Before I go - a quick description of the lounge. Nowhere near as good as the JL first class lounge, which I could not access since I had no boarding pass, however passable enough. It was very full. There were several computers (no printers though), food and drink, comfy chairs, tv, newspapers and magazines. I'm not sure if it had a smoking room or showers.

Now back to a sprint down the pier - almost bowling a few people over along the way At the gate just as boarding is beginning and yes I can still check in. Phew. I'm handed one boarding pass (I'd hoped for two but beggars can't be chosers) when I notice that once again my status has dropped off. Grrrr. They add and reprint and I hop back onboard, in fact to the very same seat I'd left not too many minutes before.