FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:15 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You've done it once you can do it again
Sydney to Cairns (SYD-CNS) on Qantas 737-800 business class

I had a number of options for the next two flights. Domestic leg of an international flight up or domestic flight up (on a couple of different aircraft) and a choice of a couple of domestic flights back down (depending on which flight up I took).

I decided to stick with same aircraft both ways, to reduce risk of misconnection and to avoid the hassle of immigration at Cairns. For some reason whenever I have connected to the domestic leg of international flight between Sydney and Cairns from another international flight, I have had grief by customs at Cairns. I then chose the 737-800 pair of flights since it would be a little less rushed at the very busy early morning peak hour for immigration at Sydney.

In the lounge I try to get the onward boarding passes but only manage to get 1 more. Then catch up on some work before boarding is called. A final call is announced but when I get to the gate that is virtually opposite the lounge there is a huge queue and it is clear boarding has only just begun

The flight is full. Meal is lunch with a choice of chicken tikka masala or proscuitto salad, with salad, rolls and ice cream.

IFE is again Live Free and Die Hard.

Flight is much the same as the similar Melbourne to Cairns flight a couple of days earlier. On arrival we again have to walk the length of the terminal and back again to reach security. Again I'm yelled at by a ground staff who helpfully pointed out baggage claim is to the left, again forgetting that some passengers have connecting flights and thus need to go right.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 20, 2007 at 2:32 am