FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:31 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
After takeoff the DVDs were handed out quickly and then breakfast was served. I had some bad luck with the batteries, which ran out on my original player, and the next one, and the next one, and the next one! Finally on the 4th player I was able to finish the movie.

The CSM was most apologetic and for my inconvenience offered $40 voucher for use at participating retail stores in Australian domestic terminals. While it was a nice gesture I turned it down as the terms meant I was unlikely to use them, and really it was just bad luck and minor inconvenience to keep fast forwarding the dvd to where I'd left it each time the battery failed.

We arrived early and had a short taxi to the gate at the end of the OW pier. As often seems the case in Australia there is a wait for the airbridge to connect - today it was over 10 minutes. Then I sprinted down the pier to immigration and quickly through. The quarantine queues were horrendous with pax backed up around all carousels. After spending 20 minutes in line (and still not even reaching the metal barriers before the snake before the x-ray machines) I got lucky and was redirected to the domestic passenger gate. That probably saved me another 20 minutes at least.

I made my way to the transfer bus, showing the way for a couple who'd never been here before. At the transfer area I did my usual thing when already checked in and only carry on luggage, and skipped under the rope from the business class line to the (empty) line for security. I simply don't see the point of spending 15 minutes (or much, much more on some days) in the business class queue just to move directly to the empty line for security. I wish they put in a proper channel for those in this situation - as some days you can spend 30 minutes just waiting to get to the point where you can skip under the rope. But not today - I'm under, through security and only a short wait for the next bus.

As usual I positioned myself by the rear doors for quick getaway, and am in the domestic lounge probably before some passengers have made it off the transfer bus.