FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:10 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
How I've been getting off
Melbourne to Auckland (MEL-AKL) on Qantas 737-400 business class

The aircraft had been running late all day (I'd been following progress online based on the obvious flights operated in the schedule), and arrived late at Melbourne. However they did a great job turning around and boarding was essentially complete on time. Unfortunately a couple of passengers were rather late boarding - some 15 to 20 minutes after the rest of us - so another slightly late flight. With an OMG arrival time I wasn't too pleased about the delay no matter how small.

The flight is full. I'm already drifting off to sleep when we pushback. A pre-departure orange juice, water of sparkling wine. Menus handed out.

After take off I get a personal DVD since the main screen is showing, you guessed it, Evan Almighty. Even so, as I thumb through the library of about 10 DVDs that I've seen all of these at least a couple of times too. Oh well. Other than a bite to eat I pretty much doze the flight away.

Our mains orders are only taken when they serve, and thus you can miss out on your first choice. Even so I was taken aback that, sitting in the front row (with meals being served from the front), I got the very last of my choice of mains. Either catering was light, they misjudged which choice would be popular, or the cabin crew had "reserved" their choices.

We didn't make up any time en route and thus arrived late. Since New Zealand had moved to daylight savings time while Australia was still on standard time this made for a very late arrival, on this the last scheduled arrival for the night. Then there was a delay at the airbridge. Immigration was quick. Get to xray to find them all abandoned. We call out and eventually some one turns up. By the time got into the city it was after 3am - a rather long day.