FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best time to take ambien?
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:30 pm
BingoLoco

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by airmotive
Ya know, I've never tried sublingual. I find the taste rather nasty. (Tastes like an uncoated Tylenol). I'll have to give the under-the-tongue meathod a try after a meal to see if that's a workaround for the post-meal ineffectivity of the drug.

My wife is (was) a crit care nurse and is now in pharma. She a stickler for what's written on every drug's package insert ("P.I." for you fans of medical acronyms). I don't think Ambien is indicated for sub-L, but it seems others have volunteered to be Sanofi's guinne pigs with satisfactory results.

Since I'm here typing, I might as well change subjects slightly and drop another note to the OP:
Earlier I (and others) mentioned that Ambien can have some psychedellic affects. Typing this post reminded me of my wife's first time taking Ambien. She woke me up at 2AM screaming, "GET THEM OFF! GET THEM OFF!"
Apparently, there were several large white rabbits sitting on the end of the bed. She then got quite angry at me because I refused to see them. She knew I could see them but I refused to admit it because I wanted her to think she was crazy.

The next morning, she said she had the best night's sleep in a long time. No memory of bunnies in bed.

The next time she took Ambien she did so expecting to see bunnies...and she did. A few giggles as she pointed out the bunnies to me...only this time she was perfectly aware that they were halucinations caused by the drug, and then back to nite-nite. Once she (and I) became familiar with how the drug affects the mind and body, it became a useful tool for time-zone travel.

Personally, I feel Ambien is far safer than moving about in a strange city with too little sleep (think: trying to cross the street in Mumbai with zero sleep in the last 3 days. THAT'S dangerous!). However, you have to gain experience with the drug under controlled conditions. I used my wife as an example to illustrate the need for that. (Don't tell my wife. kthx)
There are numerous sleep aids that don't induce hallucinations or odd behavior. One of those is better suited to travel, especially if she's never taken a sleep aid before.

I recommend Sonata or Lunesta, but yeah if poster insists on Ambien then it is CRITICAL to try it before the flight.