FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Has left Marriott] Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, Kansas City [Master Thread]
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:04 pm
Matt-KC

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jayzee9
The Intercontinental is a better hotel.
Just curious when your stay at the IC was? The property is being renovated, but years of neglect as it changed hands a few times (and with no renovations at the Ritz-> IC changeover) has left it one of the most over-priced/underwhelming properties in the city. Before the most recent renovations started, you could not have paid me to stay there...it was that bad.

While the Westin is getting older, I don't know that I would place the Sheraton Suites above it. The Westin does have the heavenly products in place. I would place them about even with location being the deciding point for me (although they are not that far apart). If you need to be on the Plaza, choose the Sheraton...if you need to be near Crown Center, I would probably choose the Westin (if you need to stay in the SPG family...I will often choose the Hyatt over the Westin as the employees there are steps above those I have encountered at the Westin and I am always welcomed back, often by sight alone and they have always pre-blocked me into a room that exactly matches my preferences).

Unfortunatley SPG does not have a great showing in KC, the Sheraton in Overland Park was recently renovated, but not in the best location unless you need to be on that side of the city. The 4Points KCI is ok, but nothing great. A/C units are loud and property is a converted Holiday Inn->Clarion->4Points so is a little rough around the edges. Employees have always been very friendly.

Another property is in conversion, the old Adams Mark Sports Complex (now a Clarion) is converting into a Sheraton. Property was terrible under the previous brands so it will be interesting to see how the renovations end up. Property should finish renovations shortly, but they are also building an attached water park that will extend construction at the property for some time.