FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA and Aviation Security: What is wrong with their concepts and strategy
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:11 pm
essxjay
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
TSA and Aviation Security: What is wrong with their concepts and strategy

LINK

Aviation security is an almost forgotten topic, commonly confused with flight security because since 9/11 we did not encounter another such terror attack on American soil. This article is meant to remind us that the threat did not disappear as seen a several recent events. The author demands that Israeli aviation security philosophy be immediately adapted instead of reinventing the wheel.

There is a no better compelling illustration of the current situation approaching the subject of aviation security than validating once again the saying “the chain is as strong as its weakest link”. This article was initially conceived in July 2003, when it was obvious to me that the chosen strategy and implementation by TSA to protect the commercial aviation and its facilities, was far from the best available methods and technologies. I am compelled to reiterate again the still existing aviation security wide flaws and gaps after reading Giving Human Intuition a Place in Airport Security, written by Joe Sharkey in The New York Times a few days ago. In that interview Kip Hawley, the head of TSA, proudly stated that now we put “new emphasis on a layer of screening called behavioral detection” and also “We started off thinking, (pay attention to started - SE), what is it we do better than anybody else? What’s the advantage we have? And it’s that we see two million people every day. We know what normal is”. Eureka, Mr. Hawley, the highly protected secret is finally revealed. My question is: Why did it take six years to reach this obvious conclusion?