FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:31 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
London Heathrow to Kuwait City (LHR-KWI) on British Airways 777 business class

I'm not sure how much of this entry I will have time to post as I'm waiting for a delayed flight to start boarding. As I write the delay has been pushed back a further 30 minutes so here goes.

The flight to Kuwait was also delayed as were many departures that evening. At least I had a lounge to enjoy while I waited, and so I spent time catching up on this report and on FT. It is annoying that the T4 lounge computers are in a separate area with limited poor quality drinks (nothing hot for example) and no food. Not everyone who needs to keep in touch has a laptop and so this is a significantly poor environment compared to many other lounges.

I headed out to the gate slightly early so that I could get a decent walk before boarding. At least with the late departure time we got a airbridge and not a remote stand.

The flight was very empty with plenty of seats to spread out over. Boarding was thus quick, but perhaps this was why our flight was chosen to be delayed. We get handed an amenity kit, the new Elemis one, and a menu. This amenity kit has received negative comments on the BA forum but to be honest I don't notice much difference to the old one.

A quick pre-departure drink (choice of orange juice, water and champagne) and a cold wet towel and we are heading out. It amazes me how some airlines manage to do the towel thing well and others badly. I've had towels so dry they are useful for anything, others so sopping wet you get a little stream of water down your front when you bring it up to your face. Some boiling hot needing to wait a moment or two before using, others lukewarm or even cold like this one. For the record I prefer warm to hot and wet without being sopping.

There is no in flight magazine, nor duty free magazine, at my seat or any of the several seats near me. Oh well. With only 19 channels the non-avod system is fairly easy to work out and anyway most of them I have already seen (many times).

A nice supper. They hadn't loaded my preferred or even 2nd choice wines so the FA got one from first class for me ^

Then I fell asleep, waking on descent as they hand out the towels. We fly over a suburb and some sand before touching down at a well spread out but fairly small airport. We haven't made up any time en route, which means my transfer will be interesting.