FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATA tries to arrest you for using your iPhone in "Airplane Mode"
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:57 pm
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone with a real brain and education been able to conclusively say that even having a phone in non-airplane mode is somehow hazardous? I have an engineering background, and I'm convinced it's just a way to get people to turn off their phones so they're paying attention (theoretically) if something bad happens on takeoff or landing.

My evidence:

1. I have left my phone on countless times - mostly accidentally - and all it does is say "No Service" when we're at altitude. This I know to be because cell tower antennae are aimed at the horizon, not up. I have yet to crash due to my blatant disregard for cell phone safety.

2. Planes (and everything else) are bombarded by radio waves in the EXACT SAME frequencies used by cell phones all the time. These radio waves come from the cell towers, and are a lot more powerful than the dinky 0.6 W max that a handheld phone puts out. If cell phone signals are so dangerous to planes, why don't they declare airports and the surrounding airspace to be cell service-free areas?

Hmm?