FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why must people leave their bags unattended?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:03 am
LessO2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeon
I see this all the time at the checkpoint. Person divests, and places their bag onto the table before putting it into the xray, and then they walk away and goes through the mag. They stand there waiting and waiting and complain that their belongings are not through yet. Other passenger's belongings are still coming out (as they will just move their items around pax #1's stuff and place their belongings into the xray). Pax #1 sees their belongings are still outside on the table and tells the passenger behind to push their stuff in for them.

And then there are people who are not even next in line to put their items through the xray and just leaves their stuff at the end of the table and walk past everyone else.

Personally, I rather just assume the bags are unattended and assume the bags to be suspicious as who would surely leave behind their laptop/purses/wallets/ jackets in such a crowded area.

Also, gotta love the husband and wife with toddler aged children combo. Husband divests all his stuff, puts his expensive items in first and walks through the mag leaving the wife behind with the child/children along with the baby stroller still on the floor and all their bags still outside not even on the table yet.

I can understand someone forgetting small items like laptops or one bag, but to leave nearly all your items outside because you expect them to magically push themselves in is beyond me.

Not trying to be snarky here, but I think you need to understand the passenger's viewpoint.

First, many airports have a bag feeder. Ma and Pa Kettle aren't likely to notice that DFW has a bag feeder and SFO doesn't.

Second, the TSA likes to portray itself as being everything secure. That's a perception the passengers have. Not only do people think the bags are automatically being fed in, they obviously think the bags will be okay.