FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:51 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Back row centre just above the ice
Melbourne to Hong Kong (MEL-HKG) on Qantas 747-400 business class

It's a full flight but we board quickly, with priority lane for first, business and elite pax. Unlike the title I am not back row centre although I did select a bulkhead centre aisle seat to maximise my chances of an empty seat alongside.

After take off we get an amenity kit, but no pajamas. For some reason this long overnight flight doesn't qualify despite the onward daylight flight from Hong Kong getting pajamas in business (as well as first class). The amenity kit is significantly worse than the last one I got from Qantas. A horrible bag, socks and small eyeshade. Ear plugs, toothbrush and toothpaste. A 3 pack of gooey stuff.

No magazines or newspapers handed out. My seatmate asked about magazines and was told brusquely to help himself at the back of the cabin. When I later walked past I noticed the selection was terrible - just a couple of titles.

We take off into the night. It takes a long time before the IFE is enabled, and it is switched off nearly an hour before arrival the next morning. If other airlines can leave the system on from take off to landing, why can't Qantas?

Dinner shortly after take off, and breakfast before arrival. There is a card you can pre-order meals in order to maximise sleep, or in my case note that I do not want to be woken to eat. By the bottom of the stairs there is also a fridge with wine, beer, juice and water; plus red wines cheese & crackers, biscuits, chocolate and fruit on the table - all self serve.

For only the second time I can remember the Qantas AVOD works reasonably well, apart that is from annoying recurring glitches on the screen (bits of the picture scrambled for a few seconds, every so often).

Passengers continuing on to London Heathrow can keep carry-ons onboard in the overhead bins, including any duty free liquids purchased in Melbourne.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2007 at 9:27 am