FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A tale of two "first class" experiences flying SFO-LAX with plenty of pics.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:52 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
It's the details that make a difference

Thanks ebayj. - DiscoPapa, haven't you heard that too much candy is bad for you? I'm afraid this is the only picture that I have of the crew. Didn't want to be so obvious and get on the crew's bad side.

Now back to the report...

Things at VX are different from other airlines and that sets them apart. Take the seats for instance. The way that the seat controls are arranged on the side shaped like a person sitting is unique. Also, the way that the overheard lights gradually turn on or off is soothing. Let's not forget about the mood lighting although I did not get to experience that feature on today's flight.

Seat controls

Once everybody boarded the door was shut and FA's did a live safety memo. Minutes after the engines roared and as we climbed high above we were treated to a spectacular view of the ocean on this sunny day.

Once we reached cruising altitude our purser proceeded to take drink orders and distribute snack boxes. She was thorough and efficient providing an explanation of the contents of the box as she delivered it to each passenger. The snack consisted of three individual bite size containers of mozzarella and tomatoe in balsamic vinegar, melon ball wrapped in prosciutto and a cream puff bathed in chocolate sauce.

Snack box

Mozzarella and tomatoe

Melon ball in prosciutto

Cream puff in chocolate sauce

The box contained a set of plastic utensils wrapped in paper napkin. The snack was pretty satisfying and generous considering the short duration of this flight. I normally do not take partake in the movie options offered onboard when flying preferring a good book instead, but in this flight I decided to explore the entertainment options that VX's RED offered. I did not have any earphones with me so upon seeing this the purser brought me a set and asked if I needed one. Now, that is service. ^ One feature of RED that I truly liked was the google map showing the status of your trip.

Talk about details, check out the wing tip of the plane with the US flag. This is also a feature of Virgin with its corresponding Union Jack.

Soon we started our descend into the Bay area and I took some shots of the scenery below:

We finally touched down ending this great trip.

In conclusion my experiences at Delta (Expressjet) and Virgin America were top notch. I believe that DL offers the best coach product flying from SFO-LAX offering a choice of snack and a cabin layout on the Embraer that guarantees either a window or aisle seat. VX's F cabin is amazing. It is the best value out there for this route and it's the only carrier that offers something "substantial" to munch on for such a short trip. Also, the international style seats, entertainment system and staff attitude put them way ahead of the other competitors. The only negative that I have perceived is the propensity for delay of flights. For those of us who are not type A's and who travel for leisure from point A to point B this is not such a big deterrent. VX is a work in progress but so far it is turning out to be quite a contender.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed the report and the pics.