FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:34 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I've been standing at the back of your life
Auckland to Melbourne (AKL-MEL) on Qantas 737-400 business class

After far too little sleep and the usual rush of last minute things to see to before a trip I am at last on my way back to the airport. As I arrived a bit earlier than I expected I walk across to the international terminal from domestic. May as well get in the habit of walking whenever I get a chance for I have a lot of sitting around over the next month.

I recently worked out that I'd be in the air longer than on the ground in the next month, and that the longest time I'd be grounded is not much more than 24 hours!

As I walk into the international terminal, seeing many different airlines represented in the visible tailfins (mid afternoon is a great time to check them out), I realise that the 2 times I flew internationally from Auckland in the past couple of weeks I was in first class both times. Not for me this time as all Qantas flights to/from New Zealand are 2-class. For the record the airlines still flying with first class from New Zealand are Emirates, LAN, Singapore and Thai. That's all, or does Malaysian still have first? Over the past decade, one by one airlines have dropped their first class from New Zealand.