FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:24 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Auckland to Wellington (AKL-WLG) on Qantas 737-300

Another day, another early start. This time check in was later opening and a big queue was waiting when I arrived so I decided to check in effortlessly at the lounge instead. Went up to security and was told (paraphrased here) "there's no point going through for your flight already as it is a while away and there isn't anything beyond security ... other than the lounge". I was taken aback at this - the lounge for breakfast and watching the rugby was exactly where I was headed and surprised the screener didn't recognise me from the other 100+ times I have arrived at this time of day and entered the lounge, including yesterday. I thought security officers are supposed to be observant?!

I got checked in and was warned the weather in Wellington is bad enough that the airport is marginal - high winds and bad gusts. Sure enough the flight is delayed and so I get to see more of the first half of the rugby game than I expected ^ Eventually a sorry sounding boarding call is made "We're going to attempt to get to Wellington and please board at gate xx. Qantas apologises for the delay caused by the bad weather in Wellington." This doesn't go down too well with a nervous flyer in the lounge - do you have any airsickness medicine? Hope she isn't sitting by me!

... to be continued ...

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 6, 2007 at 8:33 pm