FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - multiple tickets to long haul destanations
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:22 am
graraps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2SWEETAU
I’m having difficultly finding out if it’s possible to fly to a destination on multiple tickets issued by multiple carriers and have the whole journey merged somehow. lets say for example I want to fly from Sydney to Belfast and I manage to buy a ticket from Sydney to Singapore (transit stop over) with one airline, Singapore to Frankfurt (transit stop over) with another and Frankfurt to Belfast with another. I make sure that each transit stop over has enough time to get to the next flight. Can I just book these flights with each carrier and got to the airport and request that my bags be forwarded to each flight?

Is this common or am i out of my mind? I am just sick of travel agents and I know i can do a better job than a travel agent.
Quick reply: Call the airline that you will check-in with (the first segment).

Long reply: It depends on something called the "Interline Agreements". These are agreements between carriers that allow pax to send baggage across different airlines. Not all airlines will do this for you, and some will restrict the facility to their alliance and codeshare partners.

For example if you were to go MAN-SKG:

MAN (BA) LGW (4U) ATH (A3) SKG - this can't work, since British Airways don't really interline with anyone outside Oneworld. Moreover, Easyjet are a LCC, very few of which have any sort of interline agreements.

MAN (KL) AMS (OK) PRG (OA) SKG - this will work because KL and OK are Skyteam allies, and OA codeshare with OK on the PRG-SKG segment. In this situation, if your luggage fails to arrive, it's the responsibility of the first carrier on your routing (in this case KLM) to sort it out and compensate if appropriate.