FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Camcorder Editing software
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:05 am
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndrewHearne
Hello guys

I've just come back from a great vacation in Vegas, got some good stuff of the water show at the Belliagio etc, though the clip started 1 minute to early before the show, can any of you recommend any software to take out that bit not needed. Will send to you when done

30GB Sony Hard Disc Camcorder

Thanks
Andrew
Hard disk camcorders record in mpeg2 (and, sometimes, a proprietary flavor thereof) or mpeg4. That rules out most entry-level editing packages, which generally work with DV-codec-encoded AVI. You might look at:

VideoReDo: an inexpensive mpeg2 program that, while not a true editor, can trim unwanted sections of mpeg2 files and, usually, is fairly robust with respect to the kind of mpeg2 files that it can handle. I do not believe it will handle mpeg4.

VirtualDub: This is free, open-source software. It will let you trim your clip, but it may not work unless you can find and install the appropriate codec. I'm fairly certain there a number of mpeg4/DIVX codecs around that will work with VirtualDub. It may be harder to find an mpeg2 codec, but it's worth a try. The problem with VirtualDub (sometimes called VDub) is that, though powerful, it is awkward to use and somewhat opaque.

Didn't your camcorder come with any software?