FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:19 pm
lestismore

Programs: spg-plat, aa-1mm and exp,hh-Diamond,hyatt-gld
Sheraton Barra

Originally Posted by heggers03
Thank you all for the advice regarding my original questions, in the end I booked the Sheraton Barra for three nights and will move to Hotel Mar Ipanema for the final two nights.
As you exit airport security- on your right- place to get brazil- $, but if you pass this inside the terminal are "street-brokers" sometimes offering better exhange rate -sometimes not- check both- you will need some local currency to pay the cab. There are also car services- slighlty more expensive, but a lot more secure- you know who to call if there is a problem. If you use this service buy a round trip its saves you money. But you do have to set up your return to the airport. It does work. If you're staying at the barra consider finding a driver for your stay- several names have been offered here in this thread.
If you take a cab from the airport- be very very explicit that you are going to the S. Barra, the taxi cab will try to take you to Sheraton Rio and keep meter running for additional $. I have been over 12 x in the last 12 months, so make sure you say Sheraton BARRA!!! Make sure he ( very very few female drivers) understands. I found the hotel great, but it is way way way way away from Rio. I am also very surprised that the Sheraton Rio is more expensive than the Barra. It is my experience that the Barra is more expensive than the Sheraton Rio. The issue of the food is irrelevant in that it's the only game out there. You eat in the hotel or you don't eat. There are no stores, restaurants in competition. Yes the food at the Barra is expensive but as i said you eat there or you don't eat. There are no food establishments w/i walking distance. About 1/4 mile down -(out front door of hotel and turn left) a store selling deli like goods etc. but thats it. Also need to know on workdays between approx 8:00 A.M. and 10:00 A.M. it takes a very long time to get into Rio form Barra or Sheraton Rio traffic is bumper to bumper.

Very important- when taking a "taxi" that they start the meter- if they say no- GET out! make them start the meter at the hotel before you start. this is true any time you get in a cab- if at any time they are not willing to start the meter, you must be willing to exit or you will pay for the ride far more than you should have.