FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serious question about switching airlines
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:11 pm
Stranger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macyyz
Hello all,

I am in my second year in a row as an AC SE. I am racking upwards of 200 - 350 K points per year. And I have realized that for travelling, these points are pretty much worthless. The cost in points is extremely high. Most flights even within Canada (unless something like YYZ-YUL) are typically ClassicPlus asking for more points.

Since 95% of my travel is cross border travel, I am hoping that among this crowd there is some experience here. Both Delta and AA promised to transfer 50% the points I currently have in AP to theirs plus give me full status if I move my business to them so lost points is not the issue. The real question, is whether their points system are any better than APs.

I ask this, as I see they want 78000 points to simply fly my wife and daughter to Moncton. Considering I flew my parents and brother and sister and nephew from Montreal last Christmas for 75000 points, I find this to be excessive. Outside of the points being spent on "luxury" items that I pretty much have no interest in, I am finding Aeroplan to be pretty much useless.

Thanks in advance.
What you are saying, i.e., the demise of IKK, is only true for overseas J class aeroplan tickets. Which BTW for many of us is really the key part of what IKK used to be until it got castrated.

However, if what you do with your points is stuff such as flying to Moncton or within North America in general, you still can, as an SE, get tickets at the old, so-called "classic" prices. Plus of course "surcharges."