FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Serious question about switching airlines
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:58 pm
macyyz

Programs: Aeroplan SE, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Serious question about switching airlines

Hello all,

I am in my second year in a row as an AC SE. I am racking upwards of 200 - 350 K points per year. And I have realized that for travelling, these points are pretty much worthless. The cost in points is extremely high. Most flights even within Canada (unless something like YYZ-YUL) are typically ClassicPlus asking for more points.

Since 95% of my travel is cross border travel, I am hoping that among this crowd there is some experience here. Both Delta and AA promised to transfer 50% the points I currently have in AP to theirs plus give me full status if I move my business to them so lost points is not the issue. The real question, is whether their points system are any better than APs.

I ask this, as I see they want 78000 points to simply fly my wife and daughter to Moncton. Considering I flew my parents and brother and sister and nephew from Montreal last Christmas for 75000 points, I find this to be excessive. Outside of the points being spent on "luxury" items that I pretty much have no interest in, I am finding Aeroplan to be pretty much useless.

Thanks in advance.