FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying and Shipping Flat LCD or Plasma from USA to India? If? How?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:58 am
xmlsoa

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by anaggie
shipping will be very expensive and it will be cheaper fo you to buy it in India.

You have to air ship, not by SEA. Depending on the size and weight, you will pay a nice rate.

Then you have to worry about them dropping itr. In India, things such as "FRAGILE", "THIS SIDE UP" mean nothing.

I buy tems from India which are packed in big pallets. By the time the pallet leaves, it is has been broken apart and restacked.

GOOD LUCK !!
Very expensive . I agree, but I have no clue on how to find out the $$$ Cost to ship. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Originally Posted by JGR01
I know with a Plasma TV you have to be very careful about the shipping 'position'.

When my Plasma came by semi truck .. there was a 'level indicator' on the package. The instruction said that if the indicator was 'red' (as in the TV had been laid down flat vs in the upright position during the shipping process) to REJECT the shipment.

I would hate to think what ocean cargo and trucks in India might do to a TV that has to be shipped in a proper upright position.

May not be the case of LCD TVs .. I do not know.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind about PLASMAs. Probably go with LCD.

Originally Posted by fredl
This mostly applies to plasmas because of their glass front. Just like a window it should never be transported horisontally (the strain on the glass becomes to great). A LCD should be transportable, the best case would be if they could take it with them as luggage. Shipping it on your own dime doesn't sound like a great plan (cost/risk/compatability/warranty).
$$$ ?

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I don't know what India's power supply is, but I'd guess it's 220. A TV bought in the USA won't work unless you convert the power supply. Buy one in India.
Thanks. I am aware of the 110 / 220 V AC Voltage Downstepping requirement. Not a big thing to add a converter.

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Also consider issues with NTSC/PAL video formats that may not display correctly. LCD can safely be shipped in any position, plasma is much more sensitive as a previous poster mentioned.
Thanks. I am aware of the NTSC/PAL. Appreciate the LCD vs Plasma insight.

Anyone point me to SHIPPING related insights?