FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Bora Bora Le Moana Master Thread [merged]
Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:13 am
GordonGordon

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by davidjdewey
Thank you guys so much! Bora Bora sounds great. I am definitely going to book something in the next few days. I am still undecided on the hotel situation. I think I will stick with the IC's since it's the best use of points. A lot of IC's tend to be business hotels, thus not a great use of points for vacation. Plus, 40K IC points vs. 60K SPG points for Bora Bora is not even close. There does seem to be great debate over which IC to choose. Some people say Thalasso is much nicer and some say Le Moana is nicer. I am sure that it just depends on what you are looking for. I am definitely leaning towards Thalasso because of the rooms. We will have three people and the rooms seem very large. Le Moana only shows rooms with 1 double bed available and that won't work since there are three of us. It sounds like we could use the shuttle to go over to the main island and buy some groceries to bring back to Thalasso with us to help with expenses. It also sounds like we would still be able to hang out over at Le Moana a little if we got sick of Thalasso. I know that the rainy season starts in November, but I can only go the week of Thanksgiving. I saw that the average rainfall for November is 6.5 inches, which is a lot. Is that going to ruin my trip? I imagine that's part of the reason that there is award availability and should help me chance of an upgrade. I do have one final question for the RA's out there:

I am really hoping for a nice upgrade as an RA. I would like to book the whole trip using points, but I don't know what kind of room I would get. I thought of booking the first night as a paid stay and using a BOGO for the second night. The other nights would be using points. Will paying for the first two nights give me a better chance of a nice upgrade? If so, what room category should I book? I thought of just paying for the Diamond OWB the first night and hoping to keep that room. Do you think that will work? If I do use the BOGO, should I not tell them until check-in? Would that even work if I book using the Advance Purchase rate? Sorry for all of the questions, but I really appreciate the help!
well, November is not high season, so it shouldn't be any problem and not surprise to receive complimentary room upgrade to sapphire or diamond overwater bungalow even on reward nights for regular ambassador. If you have enough points for your entire stay, why not using points and why wasting money? Both IC hotels at Bora Bora are very accommodating for room upgrade. If you want to ensure that you will get the diamond o/w bungalow and don't want to take any risk, then it is a good idea to book the 1st night for a sapphire o/w bungalow (regular ambassador is entitled for one room categaory upgrade) and use your BOGO for the 2nd night and the rest of the nights are paid by points. I don't think they will be that tacky to ask you to move to the cheaper room on the reward nights.

You should not worry too much about the weather as dry season can also be very rainny, and rainny season can be very sunny. It really depends on your luck. When I were in Bora Bora last year in late July-early August during the driest months, it had been rainning almost like non-stop and very windy for the entire 3 days out of 5. I were also there in January (the wettest month) this year, and it was very sunny for the entire 4 days out of 5.

However, I have to warn you that you all might get infected with "Tahitian Flu" right after you get back from your first Bora Bora trip. The only cure is to immediately plan for the next Bora Bora trip, but then the flu will be getting worse and worse.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Sep 15, 2007 at 1:35 am