FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I don't understand the automatic upgrade system!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:31 am
BostonMark

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by Dan_the_Man
I have had no problems upgrading companions who were not on my itenerary. I find that it is much easier just call the perfered line and have them added to the wait list.
Also, if their are not seats available in first class when they go to process your upgrade, you will not automaticly be upgraded to first class if they later become available. (They are then first come first serve) For example:
The day before your flight, a first class seat becomes available...they would not automatically give that ticket to the senior preffered person on the wait list. It would remain available until people start checking in, or any silver or higher prefered member could call and take that seat.
I was talking to the Platinum line and they were the ones who said they couldn't upgrade her because she was not on the same itinerary. I also called 3 times before the outbound flights to see if upgrades had become available for the PHL-SFO portion. I could see someone checking in and getting the upgrade, though I did check in pretty close to 24 hours in advance - I always do when I have not yet received an upgrade.

I just think they should do a better job of giving upgrades based on status level - I don't mind seeing all CP in first - I do get a little pissed when Silver is in 1st and I'm stuck back in coach. I don't know, but it seems other airlines have much better ways to ensure that upgrades go to those that deserve it most and I really don't think their "new and improved" online upgrade system really gives upgrades the way they tell us it does.

I realize it's a "free" perk and that the more comfortable seat and cheap meal are given as a bonus. I shouldn't complain, I just wish the system would upgrade in order, keep you in that order and if not given out according to upgrade rules before flight day, give it over to airport control and have the upgrades handed out at the gate.