FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you remember..? Fast food imports that didn't stick.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:27 am
Dan Dare

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LapLap
Does anyone remember a failed franchise that set up on a corner along Shaftesbury Avenue? It was on the East side of Shaftesbury Avenue, the other side to where Wendy's was, somewhere between there and Wardour Street.

I'm not sure if it was from America or not, but there was a lot of fanfare when they opened (mid 90's) and they offered hot sandwiches that were round. I bought one once, they were pretty expensive, and immediately went to the manager to complain as I couldn't believe how small and meager it was, the photos made them look really big.

Apparantly I was the only one who'd ever complained and all the other customers thought the size of the sandwiches was very generous, I was told that many would exclaim that they couldn't finish it... I don't know how he managed to keep a straight face during this exchange. Needless, to say the place didn't last long. People may not have complained about what a lousy deal they were being offered, but they weren't going back and the shop looked emptier and emptier every time I passed it. This was before Subways exploded, I haven't got many good things to say about Subways, but they don't leave their customers hungry.
That was Arby's IIRC- they also opened in Glasgow and a friend of mine looked at taking the Franchise for Manchester. They are still going strong in the US - click here for Arby's website