FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reconfiguring CCs (need help finding cash back)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:27 pm
awake

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by sigmazero
Well, I was doing some more research, and got myself a bit confused.

What's the better deal: SPG Amex, Preferred Rewards Gold Amex, or Rewards Plus Amex?

Then I was thinking, the cash back card would be used pretty much only where it would earn more than 1% back; and so it seems like Amex Blue Cash is the best in that category.

But then I don't want to carry just 2 Amex cards, because Amex isn't taken everywhere; so I'd want a Visa or Mastercard as well as a backup; and so I was thinking maybe of the Merrill+, because while I wouldn't jump up tiers in the near future, I probably will later on...

I'm not so sure about Chase; I heard they had really bad customer service.

So, the "What do you think of my (revised) plan?" still stands, and I am still on the lookout for a good cash back card, and now I need to know which of the Amex rewards cards are best...

Thoughts?

If you move away from a cash card as your backup to the SPG AMEX, then following are good Visa/MC choices:

a. Merrill+ - Has excellent benefits if you spend $$. However, the reward yield is a bit lower than some other cards. (I personally carry this card. I like it.)

b. Marriott Visa Reward Signature - If you travel alot, this card gives 15 nights credit toward Marrioot status and a free night each year. Its reward yield is a bit low.

c. Citi Professional MasterCard - 3 pts per $ (or 3% cash back...there are two different versions of this card) on Restaurant/Rental Car/Gas charges. There is a secret 15k point bonus available. This card offers primary rental car insurance and a basic business concierge.

Personally, I use the following cards:

1. Delta Platinum AMEX up to $50k in spending (I travel on DL, so the Qualifying Miles are good for me. For many people SPG AMEX is a better choice)

2. Merrill+ Visa up to $20k in spending

Beyond that spending I use: Citi Professional MC and Citi Chairman AMEX.

Oh, I almost forgot. I would pick SPG AMEX over the Gold Card. You save on the annual fee, generally earn more points per $ (using the SPG 5k bonus on transfers), and your points are more flexible.