FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dissed by a FTer!
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:29 pm
techgirl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Cholula
I walked into the bar where a bunch of FT'ers were imbibing adult beverages and introduced myself to the group with my handle. In response I got "Hi, I'm Jim, I'm Bob, I'm Betty, I'm Doris, etc."

To which I was mucho .

Were these the people I'd been interacting with for years and only knew by their unique handles?? It took awhile to match the real names with the handles and then to determine which the FT'er preferred to be addressed.
This is another good point... I don't answer to "techgirl" more than once - I introduce myself with my real name. It's weird for people to repeatedly address me by a moniker I use online - I'd almost prefer "hey you" if they can't remember my name.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
That said, and returning to the OP, I have been in situations where I am traveling with business associates and was recognized by other flyertalkers and I was embarrassed because I didnt want to have to explain to business associates either my addiction to travel OR ft. Maybe that's what folks have experienced in getting cold receptions?
I've had this happen too... with either associates or clients around. What's worse is when its combined with the above "hey techgirl, fancy seeing you here"... or worse yet when they address me like that and then want to start talking about mileage runs or something that had been posted on FT that day.

In the same degree of comfort, we've had attendees at DOs before who didn't want photos of themselves taken or posted online. I don't consider that rude either... everyone has a specific degree of comfort when it comes to internet life and real life colliding.