FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Cologne (Koln) Germany [Master Thread]
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:14 pm
allset2travel

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
This is a very nice hotel. I stayed here early in August while bumming around Europe for a few weeks. As I wrote in my trip report on London, Brussels, Cologne and Amsterdam, The hotel is located about 5 minutes walk from the Cologne train station. On the other side of the station is the main tourist area with the Cathedral and the old town area. The Rhine river, and a nice footpath is only a couple blocks away.

Check in was a breeze (typical Germany efficiency, I suppose).

The room was very nice. It’s large and very comfortable, with an excellent bathroom and very spacious glass walled shower.

Concierge Lounge was excellent. On the top floor, which two patios – one facing the Rhine River (morning sun) and one facing the town (evening sun). Breakfast was an excellent choice of cold dishes. Evening snacks were superb, with a nice mix of fish, meats and sausages, and a good selection of beer. Two computers are available for use, and lounge staff was very nice.

The area right around the hotel is very quiet for restaurants and bars, but there is a lot available in the old town part.

I’m actually quite surprised that this was the lowest reward category of the three hotels I stayed at. It was the nicest, I felt, and had the best selection in the lounge.

The link above has reports on the other hotels, as well as links to a couple of pictures of the hotel room.

Greg
Totally agree with your evaluation of this hotel. I had a great experience here as well (except for the false fire alarm at 2 AM). They treat plats really well. The well stocked lounge is among the top 5 of those I've stayed.
Re: the reward cat - I think MR may jack it up next year (although I hope they won't), after reading all these good appraisals posted in MR sub-forum.
Thanks for your link. Interesting.