FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:04 am
derpelikan

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
it depends

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I can understand how you might prefer the decor of the Westin to the SGS, although I don't feel the decor is that bad in the SGS, it isn't entirely to my taste but nor is it shabby or in bad condition (at least in my 6 stays in the last year I have never noticed shabby interiors in any of the rooms I occupied or the public areas). The Westin feels fresher because the interior design is more modern but I am less keen on the room layout nor do I like taking 2 lifts each time I enter and leave the property, this becomes annoying very quickly.

I really cannot understand how you can rate the Plaza higher than the SGS if the decor is that important to you. The Plaza has IMHO similar decor to the SGS but is just more spartanly furnished. It has a great lounge and pool but our only experience at the Plaza was a disaster and the service was atricious. At the SGS the only quibble I have is that the check in and check out process can be a little disorganised (this can be dealt with for check in however by booking a hotel limo to collect you from the airport and "checking in" in the car).
as you might have had a bad exp. at the plaza, the plaza went the extra mile for us.

i really love the plaza lounge, and the huge suite we have gotten.
i like modern and new and minmalistic stylish rooms.

i dont like Ritz style or old english style rooms or old and worn rooms.

at the SGS i had twice problems with my luggage to be delievered after 1hour... while at the plaza i never had problems.

about the westin , well i like the lounge and the staff, but i dislike the two elevator crap too. (but this is in many hotels these days)

anyway, maybe i have gotten always old suites at the SGS but for people who want to stay in new rooms and stylish hotels the SGS is not the property to go to.

dp