FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:57 am
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by derpelikan
i agree that the SGS is a good hotel but my rating would be

1.) Plaza Athenee
2.) Westin
3.) SGS
4.) ROS

the ROS with its new suites and the new lounge is not bad, but the location is

the SGS needs a renovation the suite i got in 2005 was already so dated .
when i posted about this that time on FT i got really flamed by the SGS "fanatics " who wont accept that the hotel really needs a renovation.

one thing i worry about is that the SGS will jump up one more CAT after the renovation....

dp
I can understand how you might prefer the decor of the Westin to the SGS, although I don't feel the decor is that bad in the SGS, it isn't entirely to my taste but nor is it shabby or in bad condition (at least in my 6 stays in the last year I have never noticed shabby interiors in any of the rooms I occupied or the public areas). The Westin feels fresher because the interior design is more modern but I am less keen on the room layout nor do I like taking 2 lifts each time I enter and leave the property, this becomes annoying very quickly.

I really cannot understand how you can rate the Plaza higher than the SGS if the decor is that important to you. The Plaza has IMHO similar decor to the SGS but is just more spartanly furnished. It has a great lounge and pool but our only experience at the Plaza was a disaster and the service was atricious. At the SGS the only quibble I have is that the check in and check out process can be a little disorganised (this can be dealt with for check in however by booking a hotel limo to collect you from the airport and "checking in" in the car).