FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:19 am
derpelikan

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
good service but old rooms

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Plaza has a great club lounge it is true.

The Plaza has probably the best pool of any current Starwood in BKK it is true.

The staff at the Plaza (lounge staff excepted) are however atrocious and the lifts are pretty hopeless too. The rooms are also rather soul-less in comparison with the WGS and SGS. We stayed at the Plaza a few weeks ago and it took almost an hour for someone to bring my bags to the taxi after checking out, this summed up the experience.

The SGS rocks, we have stayed 6 times in the last 12 months and it is the only hotel (one night at the WGS excepted) in BKK where I have never had to make a single complaint. I also love the lack of club lounge at the SGS, Bar Su and/or the living room is sooo much better than a club lounge even a very nice one like that at the Plaza.

The Conrad is OK but the SGS is superb. We have a week's stay booked at the Conrad Residence over Xmas and I feel incredibly guilty for not staying at the SGS.
i agree that the SGS is a good hotel but my rating would be

1.) Plaza Athenee
2.) Westin
3.) SGS
4.) ROS

the ROS with its new suites and the new lounge is not bad, but the location is

the SGS needs a renovation the suite i got in 2005 was already so dated .
when i posted about this that time on FT i got really flamed by the SGS "fanatics " who wont accept that the hotel really needs a renovation.

one thing i worry about is that the SGS will jump up one more CAT after the renovation....

dp