FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charged For a Platinum Upgrade at US Grant Hotel San Diego
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:15 pm
sbtinme

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by gabo02
... actually have a reservation coming up next week and have been upgraded already.
Yes, but to what have you been upgraded? A Legacy Suite? If so, let's call a spade a spade. A Legacy Suite is certainly nice and well appointed, but it's not what I'm willing to call a suite. It's more like what I'd call a small junior suite.

In fact, that might be pushing it even a little. It's a very nice room with a normal sized bathroom (in fact, if I'm not mistaken, the bathrooms in the Legacy Suites are a tad smaller than standard and have only one sink vs two in many standard rooms here) and a smallish sitting area off the entrance. The sitting area is very comfortable, but also very small with poor lighting. There is no music source nor TV in this sitting area, so it's more of a pass through area.

I'm not being negative, just calling a spade a spade.

I think this is a great hotel with solid management. I think the remodel is stunning and the quality of goods from top to bottom is impressive and exceptionally well done.

I also know that they've had a hard time hitting revenue projections here and the hotel runs on low occupancy of the time. Not sure how they're going to fix that, but it appears that this hotel has opted to try to squeeze more $$$s from its current customer base instead of extending above and beyond treatment to them (the way that the Westin Diplomat, for example, does).

I suppose that they are within the SPG guidelines and expectations from *wood, but the OP is correct in stating that it's disappointing to be offered a room one step up from standard when the hotel is half empty. The other point of view is that the OP (like many of us) has been very fortunate in other properties around the world as a SPG Plat member in getting really special suites and treatment that went well beyond any requirements or expectations.

All that said, I do agree that the USGrant seems to be especially stingy in handing out anything other than minimum upgrade requirements to Plat members. While that may disappoint us, it's probably important to remember that they are operating under the rules.