FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo Onsen
Thread: Tokyo Onsen
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:38 pm
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patchmonkey
LapLap din't include some of the more "tourist-y" onsen in Tokyo, so I hope I'm not remiss in wondering...Note that supposedly these are onsen where they have dug deep into the ground to access hot water - are we counting places like LaQua, Ooedo Monogatari, and the Grand Shiespa/Zaboo (Roppongi)?
All of the places above (I believe) are classified as Onsen. I understand the law was changed not so long ago and natural mineral water can be collected from lower into the ground than before and qualify. And there are other differences besides mineral content. I understand that the water at the Prince Park Tower bubbles up at around 35C and that at that at Koshinoyu and other black water spas in the Minami area come up at about 25C (so need to be heated further). In researching this I've been shocked to realise just how many sentos designated as Onsen have closed down recently, they really are disappearing fast. (There's a list of just some of the Sento that have closed in the last 5 years here)

The list is still a work in progress and I'm currently concentrating on those that, in my view at least, offer good value for money. I feel a bit strange recommending Ooedo Monogatari when I haven't been able to bring myself to go there (Gardish Spa and Yuraku appeal to me more). But I do intend to include these - probably in the same section as the Prince Hotel Onsen.

Does anyone know if LaQua qualifies as an Onsen?

EDIT TO ADD - list has been updated

-------------------------------------------------

Gorgeous modern Sento - Kita Ayase Station
Taiheiyu? 大平湯
Aoi 6-21-3 (Adachi-ku) MAP (Gottano Station bottom left)
430Yen - closed Mondays

(I've included this for my own reference)

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 12, 2012 at 3:47 am