FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Financial Review [2005-2009]
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:04 pm
awake

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by PimpNumOne
That sucks. I keep my checking account balance around $300.00 after I pay my bills/IRA/Other Savings and such. I keep the money that is currently not in use in my HSBC or ING savings account. Better there getting 5% interest than in my checking account getting 0.5%.

Dumb AmEx. Don't they get that MANY people have AmEx for work expenses that get reimburst via paper check? If you looked at my W2 and tax returns verus my AmEx bills you would think I would be filing for chapter 11 tomorrow; BUT there is that monthly expense reimbrstment check and savings/investment accounts to consider.

AmEx is annoying. They should say you have not pre-set limit BUT charges that would put your current balance below $###,###.** will be approved without question. Simple. That way there are no surprises.
One thing that you may try is www.yodlee.com. I have a Fidelity AMEX Platinum which has "no preset spending limit". On Yodlee, it actually shows an available credit amount. I am not sure if this is accurate.

I hear that PayPal is a trigger for all sorts of credit card reviews, limit changes, etc. I would not use it with AMEX.