FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA sues Google over use of AA's trademarks
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:09 pm
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
But how does Google "treat" the AA mark? In response to a search request including the mark, Google puts out related hits. Anyone using Google understands that the hits may or may not have any connection to the mark. It's not like people are using Google because they can't find their way to www.aa.com or www.americanairlines.com.

Google is essentially saying, "in response to your request, here are lots of links you'll find useful." Google is not stating or implying that the links are affiliated with any particular company, and is thus not creating any confusion about the source of anyone's goods or services.
So if my contract with Google provides that searches containing your law firm's name will direct users to my sponsored link you'd be ok with that?

Google should be allowed to profit (by way of my payments to Google) and I should be allowed to profit by directing potential clients away from your website? Sounds like the two of us are using your marks for our profit to your potential detriment. Just like AA's allegations.